As the Medicare Advantage program continues to grow (and as Wall Street investors continue to profit), advocates are pushing back against the many ways that commercial health insurers are shortchanging seniors and people with disabilities. News reports, investigations, and opinion pieces have all highlighted troubling behavior on the part of Medicare profiteers.
Interested in developing your own letter or op-ed? See our detailed suggestions on writing and submitting an opinion piece.
New York Times report exposes Medicare Advantage
In October 2022, The New York Times published a stunning rundown of fraud allegations and lawsuits against Medicare Advantage insurers, many of whom have lined up to participate in Medicare Direct Contracting and REACH. Read the report HERE.
Senate Report: Deceptive Marketing Practices in Medicare Advantage
Why do seniors sign up for Medicare Advantage? Targeted advertising and marketing helps insurers boost their rolls with the healthiest beneficiaries, and these tactics can be more than just annoying, they can be downright harmful. As the 2023 Medicare open enrollment period opened, the Senate Finance Committee issued a damning report of deceptive marketing practices in Medicare Advantage.
“Information submitted by states demonstrates that beneficiaries are inundated with fraudulent and misleading communications across all modes of communication (in-person, television, telemarketer, and robo-calls),” the report reads. “False and misleading marketing advertisements and fraudulent sales practices undermine access to care and the trust beneficiaries have in the Medicare program.”
Medicare Advantage news stories and opinion pieces
Medicare advocates have been raising the alarm about Medicare Advantage during the Oct. 15 – Dec. 7 open enrollment period.
- “Millennials can save Medicare,” by Alexa D’Angelo, New York Daily News, December 2, 2022
- “Medicare Advantage? More like Medicare Disadvantage,” by Helaine Olen, The Washington Post, November 30, 2022
- “Enrolling in Medicare? What you should know about TV time, fraud and what’s next,” by Dr. Robert Stone, The (Bloomington, Ind.) Herald-Times, November 17, 2022
- “How Medicare Advantage Scams Seniors,” by Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Wendell Potter, Newsweek, November 15, 2022
- “Don’t fall for the Medicare ‘disadvantage’ scam,” by Dr. Richard Cook, Southern Maryland News, October 31, 2022
- “Medicare Advantage? Medicare Disadvantage would be a better name,” by Dr. Jessica Schorr Saxe, The Charlotte Observer, October 25, 2022
- “How Private Insurers Exploit Medicare,” by Cheryl Kunis, The New York Times, Letters, October 23, 2022
- “‘Advantage’ plans are eroding Medicare’s mission,” by Dr. Lloyd Alterman, NJ.com, October 23, 2022
- “Be Careful and Do Some Research Before You Sign Up for ‘Medicare Advantage’,” by Patty Harvey and Dr. Corinne Frugoni, Lost Coast Outpost (Humboldt County, Calif.), October 13, 2022
- “What’s Wrong with Medicare Advantage?” by Dr. Stephen Kemble, The Indypendent, October 6, 2022
- “Medicare Advantage Is a Massive Scam,” by Ryan Cooper, The American Prospect, April 29, 2022
- “Don’t Touch My Medicare!” by Trudy Lieberman, Harper’s Magazine, November 2016
Ready to take action? Write a letter to the editor or op-ed warning about the dangers of Medicare Advantage. You may also wish to call your member of Congress at (202) 224-3121 and urge them to both crack down on Medicare Advantage profiteering and make necessary improvements to the Traditional Medicare program. Questions? Email email@example.com.